“CREATING SINCE I CAN REMEMBER”
Born and raised in Lutherville, Maryland. Tommy has been recognized for his art since forth grade. When he won a silver medal for the USA in the Kanagawa World Children’s Art Exhibition. From That time on he devoted countless hours to creating timeless pieces. As a senior in High School, his pencil sketch of three local Providence Fire Fighters was awarded the prestigious Princeton award given to the Best High School artist in the country.
In recognition of his artistic talent Tommy was offered a full scholarship to Carnegie Melon University, instead choose to attend Loyola College in Maryland as a FINE ARTS Major and play Lacrosse. In 1990 Loyola advanced to the NCAA National Championship vs CUSE, a squad that fielded the legendary Gait Brothers and is now considered the best college lacrosse team in NCAA history. Tommy was chosen as the VISA Scholar Athlete of the year before going on to play PRO Lax for the Baltimore Thunder, MILL.
The “Power of Prayer” for the FCA, and “The Power of Family”, depicting lacrosse teams huddled together, further enhanced his reputation not only as an artist but as “The Lacrosse Artist” (LaxArtist.com). More of his latest works are displayed on his new website ArtistTommyJohnson.com
Tommy believes art should be accessible and affordable to all from friends and Family to the galleries and retailers. Spanning from Southern California all the way to THE BOYS’ LATIN school in Maryland.
As colorful paint drips from his fingers, his style with a paint knife is like no other. In those moments he remembers to, “Never forget where you came from, FAMILY first, do what you love, do it with passion, and as for the grass being greener on the other side, it isn’t. Sometimes it is even purple. Just ask a 6 year old. ”
“Art is everywhere, and everything. I can’t thank my mom and dad enough, for all their support (never missing a game) through all my years of spills and thrills. Providing me with the tools to grow and see the world around me. There is truly no place like home and thanks to my love Diane, my amazing son Finn and our beast of a pup Vader, I get to call both the East/west or left/right HOME SWEET HOME. “I love you guys!”
THOMAS P JOHNSON
Manhattan Beach, California
Create Your Own Masterpiece!
– LacrosseBallStore.com and the artist Tommy Johnson have teamed up to bring you the Moments in Time Program. Your youth lacrosse experience is typically told in periods of two years 3rd 4th, 5th 6th, 7th, 8th or U11,U13,U15 High school typically is similar, Freshman, JV and Varsity. If you are lucky it may be 4 years. For those of us that are talented and passionate we may have another 4 years in college. All of the milestones achieved during these times are moments in history that can live on in art.
– The Moments in time Program is simple. Tommy will create a unique one of a kind painting on canvas that commemorates the people and time you are celebrating. The original will be given to the beneficiary of your choice – the school, your coach, a special player or family member – the decision is yours. Each player on the team or in the program splits the cost of the original and receives a numbered signed limited addition to be kept and treasured for a lifetime.
– Based on a team of 22 players, this is all available to you at $250.00 per player. Additional signed limited editions are available for larger groups and will reduce the overall cost per person.
1LOVE, FCA, Johns Hopkins Children, Lady Maryland Living Classrooms, The Tewaaraton, Boiardifoundation.org, US Lacrosse, DUKE, Headstrong, Jon Gordon( Best selling author-The Hard Hat), Joey’s Purple Ball-Doug Flutie, TRIBES, The Catamount Classic, Wounded Warriors, and many many more.
- We discovered Tommy Johnson’s art soon after I started the first youth lacrosse league in Los Angeles, in 1999. As I am from a family of Brown University lacrosse players, I knew what lacrosse was all about and it was a passion. I understood the game at the highest level, I knew its native American origin and history. It was unique and creative, and it was always about family.
Tommy Johnson was one of those unique, creative people who came into my life, whose art embodied that creative free spirit. He is the real deal. TJ’s art is about life and light, family and team. His art speaks to me by capturing a moment in time that tells a story. That allows you to understand the emotion and energy of that moment. I commissioned TJ to do portraits of my two sons. I gave original works by him to my brothers to celebrate their 60th birthdays and I own a 6th original piece, called “Game Time”. I love his art; he’s a great friend.
“The God Father” of Youth lacrosse in LA
US Lacrosse Hall of Fame Class of 2016
Los Angeles Chapter
- “Tommy Johnson is one of the greatest ‘Sports Artists’ that I know. He has created amazing portraits of me and two of our sons playing college lacrosse and a signature piece for FCA Lacrosse. His art becomes instant family heirlooms of tremendous value.”
Frank Kelly III
Co-Founder, FCA Lacrosse
CEO, Kelly & Associates Insurance Group
Former Player/Parent – College Lacrosse
- TJ’s art is a living, breathing expression of the blood, sweat, and tears we all put into our love of the game. From the moment I met Tommy you can’t help but see his passion for Lacrosse. That love of the sport along with his excitement for the players and moments he captures are incredible.
Head Coach Mira Costa Boys Lacrosse
US Lacrosse Greater LA Chapter President